Last summer and fall I did some recipe testing for my friend Kiersten of Oh My Veggies upcoming cookbook. She introduced me to the wonders of won ton wrappers.
We have a standing monthly get together with friends where we bring an appetizer and after bringing every appetizer in my repertoire I decided to modify a favorite main dish recipe. Not only are tacos something that most adults find utterly irresistible, my girls can’t get enough either. If they had their way, we’d be dining on cupcakes multiple times a week.
Like I said, it’s not like my girls don’t love tacos. But serving them up something new, whether they love the flavors or not, can sometimes be a challenge. By placing it in a cupcake tin and deeming it a savory cupcake, they were instantly sold. My first attempt at using won ton wrappers in a non-traditional (or even traditional) method ended up being such a success, I can’t wait to share my Taco Cupcake recipe!
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning (packaged or homemade)
- 24 wonton wrappers
- ½ can refried beans
- 1 cup Mexican cheese, shredded
- Optional toppings: sour cream, diced onions, springs of cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray or rub down with coconut oil.
- Line each muffin cup with one wonton wrapper as the base of your "cupcake".
- Cook ground beef until browned, add taco seasoning, and set aside.
- Layer 1 tbsp. of refried beans, then 1 tbsp. of taco meat, and 1 tbsp. of cheese. Place another wonton wrapper on top of cheese and repeat layer a second time.
- In preheated oven, bake until wonton wrappers are browned and cheese is melted about 15 minutes.
- After plated, top with your favorite taco toppings such as sour cream, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, salsa, and/or guacamole.
Have you used won ton wrappers in a recipe before? What did you think?